Monday, February 29, 2016

Savotta Retkilaukku 16 upgrades


Here are the upgrades I recently made to the Savotta Retkilaukku 16 - haversack. Mainly the shoulder strap, because the original one was just silly!

 I bought all the supplies from Varusteleka for around 10€. All the sewing was made on my Singer Heavy-duty 4423 sewing machine. It took me all in all 15min to complete the upgrades.

Theese upgrades could of course be done on any shoulder bag!

Material:
- 3m of  green heavy duty 40mm webbing strap, milspec rated av 1200kg and above
- 4 itw nexus triglides, milspec(-50 to +60 degrees, over 150 kg...)
- 2 itw nexus quick release buckles milspec(-50 to +60 degrees, over 150 kg...)
- 1 german army(Bundeswhere) surplus strap padding

What I did was:

1. remove the original strap that was a ca 80cm long an 20mm wide webbing strap sewn into place at one end and adjustable at the other with a metal triglide.
2. Cut 2 25 cm long pieces of the 40mm strap
3. Sew the 25cm straps to the bag, one at each side. I used a straight stitch, 2mm, and sewed "a box" with a "cross" and then reinforced the stitching with a tight zigzag at the top and bottom of "the box"(see picture). I used a standard all-round foot for the machine and a jersey needle.
4. Cut the main strap to roughly 130cm
5. Attach the QR-buckles to the straps on the bag with triglides and to the main strap.
6. I burned all the ends with a cigarette lighter to keep them from unthreading
7. Place the padding on the strap
8. adjust the straps and voila: done!

With the hardware I used the stitching or the bag will break before any of the straps or plastic parts.

"the box" from the outside

"the box" from inside

Strap  and hardware configuration 


No comments:

Post a Comment